Asia Society Texas Center is seeking volunteers who are excited to join in our mission of promoting cultural understanding between Asia and the West! We provide many opportunities to learn more about the vast continent of Asia while helping others gain a wider perspective on the diverse Asian cultures represented here in Houston. Volunteers participate in cultural events and educational activities, including music and dance performances, film screenings, policy discussions, arts exhibitions, and educational programs for K-12 students and adults.
Volunteers are an essential part of our team. Apply below to join us for opportunities in Exhibitions, Performing Arts and Culture, Business and Policy, Education and Outreach, Special Events, Family Days, Summer Camps, and Festivals.
- Art and Architecture Docents lead tours through the Asia Society's unique building and current exhibitions to provide patrons with a deeper understanding of Asian art, architecture, and culture. Asia Society docents can focus solely on art or architecture or be trained for both.
- Education Assistants help manage cultural activities for families and audiences for all ages. Duties include preparation, setup, demonstration, and cleanup of hands-on arts and crafts workshops and projects.
- Guest Services Volunteers welcome and orient guests to the building, providing wayfinding services and responding to patron questions about Asia Society and its exhibitions, activities, facilities, services, and membership benefits.
- Registration Volunteers welcome and register guests at our dynamic programs and special events, providing seat assignments as well as wayfinding assistance.
- Ushers assist in the management of crowds for programs and receptions. Duties include guiding audiences into their seats, distributing program materials, and directing of guests between program and reception components.
- Backstage Assistants assist staff behind the scenes of our performances and public programs, including music, dance, film, and theater productions as well as policy discussions and lectures.
- Be comfortable working with people from many backgrounds and ages.
- Be able to commit to volunteering at Asia Society events for a minimum of six months. Hours are flexible and can be determined in conversation with the staff.
- Volunteers under 18 years old need to have a parent or guardian co-sign their application.
- Volunteers under 15 years old need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian throughout their participation in the volunteer program.
- Commit to providing a minimum of one tour per month.
- Attend training sessions for new exhibitions and learn about the art on view and methods for engaging tour groups. Sessions occur as exhibitions change and are usually held at 6 p.m. on a weekday.
- Observe experienced docents and practice your tour. Training sessions give you the facts about an exhibition while practicing and observing other docents helps you learn teaching methods and how to present information and manage your groups.
If you would like to join our volunteer team, please complete the online application below and mark the volunteer opportunity/opportunities you are interested in. Once your application has been reviewed, you will be invited to an orientation session to be trained as a volunteer at Asia Society. These events are held monthly.
For more information, please contact Kaitlyn Ellison at KEllison@asiasociety.org or 713.496.9917.