Asia Society Texas Center is seeking volunteers who are excited to join in our mission of promoting cultural understanding between Asia and the West! Join us in helping others gain a wider perspective on the many Asian cultures and communities represented here in Houston, while also getting to enjoy great art, speakers, and innovative educational programming. Volunteers can participate in cultural events and educational activities, including music and dance performances, film screenings, policy discussions, arts exhibitions, street festivals, and educational programs for K-12 students and adults.
Volunteers are an essential part of our team, assisting Asia Society in putting on more than 150 public programs each year.
Apply below to join us for opportunities in Exhibitions, Performing Arts and Culture, Business and Policy, Education and Outreach, Special Events, Family Days, Summer Camps, and Festivals.
- Art and Architecture Docents lead tours through the Asia Society's unique building and current exhibitions to provide patrons with a deeper understanding of Asian art, architecture, and culture. Asia Society docents can focus solely on art or architecture or be trained for both.
- Education Assistants help manage cultural activities for families and audiences for all ages. Duties include preparation, setup, demonstration, and cleanup of hands-on arts and crafts workshops and projects.
- Guest Services Volunteers welcome guests to the building, providing wayfinding services and responding to patron questions about Asia Society and its building, exhibitions, activities, facilities, services, and membership benefits.
- Registration Volunteers welcome and register guests at our dynamic programs and special events, providing seat assignments as well as wayfinding assistance.
- Ushers assist in the management of crowds for programs and receptions. Duties include guiding audiences into their seats, distributing program materials, and directing speakers between programs and receptions.
- Backstage Assistants help behind-the-scenes during our performances and public programs, including music, dance, film, and theater productions as well as policy discussions and lectures.
- Have a comfort level working with people from many backgrounds and ages.
- Be able to commit to volunteering at Asia Society events for a minimum of six months. Hours are flexible.
- Volunteers under 18 years old must have a parent or guardian co-sign their application.
- Volunteers under 15 years old must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Commit to providing a minimum of one tour per month.
- Attend training sessions for new exhibitions and learn about the art on view and methods for engaging tour groups. Sessions occur as exhibitions change and are usually held at 6 p.m. on a weekday.
- Observe experienced docents and practice your tour. Training sessions give you the facts about an exhibition while practicing and observing other docents helps you learn teaching methods and how to present information and manage your groups.
If you would like to join our volunteer team, please complete the online application below and mark the volunteer opportunity/opportunities you are interested in. Once your application has been reviewed, you will be invited to an orientation session to be trained as a volunteer at Asia Society. These events are held monthly.
For more information, please contact Kaitlyn Ellison at KEllison@asiasociety.org or 713.496.9917.