Student Tours and Field Trips
Guided tours by Asia Society Texas docents lead students and educators through visual art and interactive exhibitions on view, offering unique perspectives into the traditions and cultures of Asians and Asian Americans around the world.
We invite educators to book a field trip to participate in the following experiences:
Explore Asia Tours
Travel across Asia without leaving Houston through Asia Society Texas' permanent Explore Asia exhibition, highlighting five Asian countries (China, India, Japan, South Korea, and Vietnam) across six unique experiences. Learn more about Explore Asia »
Experience traditional and contemporary Asian and Asian American art in our Louisa Stude Sarofim Gallery. Because exhibitions rotate throughout the year, a gallery tour's availability is dependent on the exhibition calendar. See previous exhibitions »
Discover the beauty of world-renowned architect Yoshio Taniguchi's first free-standing building in the United States! Guided tours focus on the materials, influences, and ambience of the building. Learn more about our Center »
Groups participating in guided tours may also expand on the experience through add-on workshops, led by AST Education Department staff and artists. Consisting of hands-on activities, reflective exercises, and more, workshops are designed to align with current exhibitions and can be tailored to suit the needs of any group.
Workshop Add-On Options
- Storytime: Listen to a storytime by AST Education Department staff or volunteers. Stories will vary and can reflect current exhibitions or programs taking place at AST. Recommended for grades K–6.
- Animals and Mythical Creatures of Asia: Learn about unique animals and mythical creatures across Asia through hands-on activities and storytelling. Recommended for grades 2–6.
- Calligraphy Around Asia: Discover different calligraphy styles from countries such as China, India, Japan, South Korea, and Vietnam, and beyond. Recommended for grades 4–12.
- Modern and Contemporary Comics in Asia: Compare and contrast popular Asian comics like manga, manhua, and manhwa. Learn about the different influences and styles, and create your own story. Recommended for grades 6–12.
- Gallery Exhibition-Based Workshop: A customized workshop based on the exhibition on view in our Louisa Stude Sarofim Gallery. Please inquire about workshop availability during time of booking.
Booking a Tour
Know Before You Book
- Tours are available Wednesday–Friday, 10:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. To best accommodate your group, we require at least two (2) weeks' notice.
- For student tours and field trips, we require a minimum of one (1) chaperone per 15 students. Chaperone admission is complimentary.
- To ensure the best experience, please do not arrive before your tour with the intent to self-guide.
Tour and Workshop Pricing
- $5 per student/guest; complimentary admission for chaperones.
- Discounted pricing is available for Title I schools, upon request. Please contact Phuong Ha, Education and Outreach Manager, at PHa@asiasociety.org.
- $5–$10 per student/guest.
- Workshop pricing is dependent on the nature of the workshop's content.