AsiaFest 2017VIEW EVENT DETAILS
Celebrate Asian Pacific American Heritage Month with AsiaFest, Asia Society Texas Center's annual family event featuring community performances, fusion cuisine, creative activities, local vendors, and more!
Co-Chairs: Teri and Jeffrey Lee
Follow us on social media and share your photos with us:
Facebook: @AsiaSocietyTexas | #AsiaFestTX
Instagram and Twitter: @AsiaSocietyTX | #AsiaFestTX
Become a part of the fun by volunteering for AsiaFest! Asia Society is looking for volunteers to assist at the Information Desk, on stage, and in the family activity areas, gallery, and parking lot. We have three shifts: 9:30 am–12:30 pm, 12:15–3:15 pm, and 3:00–6:00 pm.
In celebration of AsiaFest and Asian Pacific American Heritage Month, enjoy 20% off all memberships purchased May 13 through May 15! Sign up by visiting Visitor & Member Services or entering promo code ASIAFEST online.
Asia Society members receive FREE gallery admission and discounted tickets to 100+ programs throughout the year.
Fusion Food and Snacks
Food trucks representing the Bayou City’s culinary diversity will be lined up along Southmore Boulevard.
- Friohana Shave Ice
- Ripe Cuisine
- D’Lish Curbside
- Offbeat Eatz
- Wokker Texas Ranger
- It’s A Wrap
- The Grove Donut Truck
- Tila’s Tacos
Community Demonstrations and Performances
Festival Lawn Stage (Outdoors)
- 10:30 am | Filipino Cultural Dances by Filipino Young Professionals
- 11:30 am | Avantica Academy of Odissi Dance
- 12:30 pm | Tai Chi with Henderson Smith
- 1:30 pm | Korean Folk Dance and Tae Kwon Do Demonstration from The Korean Art Company
- 2:30 pm | Kamishibai by the Consulate General of Japan
- 4:30 pm | Iranian Youth Dancers by Iranian Culture Foundation
- 5:30 pm | Escrima Martial Art Demonstration by Bahala Na Martial Arts Association
The Brown Foundation Performing Arts Theater (Indoors)
- 11:00 am | Taiwanese Puppet Show by The Taiwanese Heritage Society
- 12:00 pm | North American Chinese Youth Orchestra
- 1:00 pm | Viet Wave Music
- 2:00 pm | Chinese Dance by J&H Dance School
- 3:00 pm | Bollywood Performance by Infused Performing Arts
- 4:00 pm | Chinese Dance by the Oriental Arts Education Center
- 5:00 pm | Indian Dance by Anjali Center for Performing Arts
Games, Activities, and Community Stations
Enjoy fun games and crafts in our Family Activity Zone.
- Chinese Character-Matching
- Chopstick Pick-up Games
- Dragon Boat Crafts
- Ebru Painting, Coloring Activities, Art Displays, and Henna by Islamic Arts Society
- Filipino Games, Crafts, and Dance Demo by Filipino Young Professionals
- Giant Sudoku
- Harris County Public Health Information and Giveaways
- Ikebana International Display
- Kamishibai and Cultural Display
- Origami by Max Nguyen/Asia Pacific
American Heritage Association
- Poi Rākau (Traditional Maori Game)
- Rangoli and Sari-tying Demonstration by India Cultural Center
- Year of the Rooster Craft by Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers
Shop jewelry, clothing, and handmade goods from the many local vendors on-site.
Art, Handmade Gifts, and Decor
- Balushka Paper Floral Artistry
- Clay Flower Lady
- Taiwanese Heritage Society of Houston
Beauty and Skincare Products and Services
- Atomy Center
- Rosehip Essentials
Clothing, Jewelry, & Accessories
- Chic Colors
- Earthredz, LLC
- Ethnic Rootz
- Fabspirit/SA Creative Design
- Diversity Clothing Co.
- Heirloom Treasures
- Longitude Lane
- Sachi Creation
- Twilight Imports, LLC
Food, Drink, and Produce
- Big Creek Farms
- Dumpling Haus
- Gingersnaps, Etc./The Center
- Made from Scratch
- Nothing Bundt Cakes
- PopCart Handmade Ice Pops
Louisa Stude Sarofim Gallery (2nd floor): Featuring works by 16 Japanese artists, including rare wall-hung installations and works never before seen in Houston, Modern Twist: Contemporary Japanese Bamboo Art both engages and educates audiences about a vibrant cultural art form.
Fayez Sarofim Grand Hall (1st floor): Contemporary artist Sangram Majumdar emphasizes shared points of connection between seemingly disparate cultures. His paintings are layered with a range of historical references that are lost and recovered as the images unfold.
Parking and Access
Paid parking for AsiaFest is available in the Asia Society Texas Center parking lot across from the building on Southmore. For additional details about accessing the Museum District including Metrorail, cabs, and more parking options, please visit the Houston Museum District website.
Asian Pacific American Heritage Month celebrates Asians and Pacific Islanders. The month of May was chosen to commemorate the immigration of the first Japanese to the United States on May 7, 1843, and to mark the anniversary of the completion of the transcontinental railroad on May 10, 1869. The majority of the workers who laid the tracks were Chinese immigrants.
Back to top »
AsiaFest is free and open to all. To sponsor this program, please fill out and return this sponsorship form. For questions, please contact Jenni Rebecca Stephenson, Director of Institutional Giving, at 713.496.9909 or JStephenson@AsiaSociety.org.
Benefactor Level Sponsorship
Ambassador Level Sponsorship
Teri and Jeffrey Lee
President Level Sponsorship
Dr. Cybele Woon
Mike Calvert Toyota
Taiwanese Heritage Society of Houston
Total Home Care, Inc.
1370 Southmore Blvd Houston, TX 77004 713.496.9901
For event details visit https://asiasociety.org/texas/events/asiafest-2017 1370 Southmore Blvd Houston, TX 77004 713.496.9901