2020 Young Leaders Institute: Energy and the EnvironmentVIEW EVENT DETAILS
In a world more interconnected than ever before, leaders need to be well-prepared with the right knowledge, attitudes, skills, and behaviors to be successful. Asia Society's Young Leaders Institute (YLI) is a week-long summer program for high school students aimed at promoting global competence as well as leadership skills.
In light of the ongoing COVID-19 uncertainty, this summer's Young Leaders Institute is moving online! Learn more about what that means. Read the FAQs »
Throughout the week, students will engage in the four tenets of global competency: investigating the world, recognizing perspectives, communicating ideas, and taking action. They will learn about the global policy issues of the day from expert speakers — from Houston and around the country — then work in teams researching, debating, and presenting solutions for the challenges facing the world. Students will hone their critical research, writing, and presentation skills while receiving guidance and feedback from Asia Society staff and online mentors. On the Institute's final day, student groups will present their policy recommendations developed from all they have learned throughout the week.
Since launching in 2016, the Young Leaders Institute has provided new perspectives and strengthened skills for more than 200 students. The Institute's fifth year has broadened each session from a country-specific focus to highlight current, timely issues.
Topics discussed during the Energy and the Environment session may include the following (subject to change):
- Asia's energy portfolio and the growing demand
- Roel of demographics impacting energy consumption in Asia
- The sustainability of current and future energy sources
- U.S. energy independence and Houston's role
- Public health concerns linked to different energy sources
- Importance of clean water and access to it
- How climate change will impact cities in Asia and the U.S.
- Goals and challenges of transitioning from fossil fuels to renewable energy in Asia
- Role of technology in advancing alternative fuel sources or conserving the environment
- Use of nuclear energy in Asia and associated risks and benefits
Speakers will be announced soon. For questions, please email TXYLI@asiasociety.org.