Grilled Fish with Seville Orange (Kabab-e mahi ba narenj)
Makes 4 servings.
Preparation time: 10 minutes plus 3 hours' marinating time
Cooking time: 5 to 7 minutes
4 thick fillets of red snapper, swordfish, or salmon, cut into 2-inch cubes
2 onions, peeled and grated
5 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup Seville orange juice, or mixture of 1/2 cup orange juice and 2 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Wash the fish and pat dry with a paper towel. Place it in a baking dish.
2. Mix all the remaining ingredients and pour over the fish. Marinate for a minimum of 3 hours in the refrigerator.
3. Preheat the broiler, and spear fish cubes onto skewers.
4. Broil the fish in the upper level of the broiler for 5 to 7 minutes, or grill it over hot coals for approximately 6 to 10 minutes, on both sides. Baste with the marinade space.
5. Serve with saffron-flavored rice (chelow), fresh herbs, and Persian pickles (torshi). Nush-e Jan!
Recipe excerpted from New Food of Life: Ancient Persian & Modern Iranian Cooking & Ceremonies or Silk Road Cooking: a Vegetarian Journey by Najmieh Batmanglij.