Gen A Alumni Travel Grant
Project Funding for a Research Trip to Asia
GEN A ALUMNI TRAVEL GRANT
With the Gen A Alumni Travel Grant, Asia Society Switzerland continues its commitment to foster the Asia Competence of the next generation. The Travel Grant allows a selected Gen A Young Leader to deepen their knowledge of Asia-related issues and accomplish a project that is crucial for their professional and personal journey, and that will inform their future as a global decision-maker in Switzerland.
The Travel Grant offers a fixed sum of CHF 10'000 for a selected Young Leader to spend a longer time (6-12 weeks) in Asia and on a project of their choice. This can be an academic project, an internship on the ground, an art-related project, or something else. The project outline should state how it will benefit from on the ground access and in-person meetings, have a clear timeline, and state what the expected impact of the project will be, and to whom. The project should deepen the Asia Competence of the selected fellow, and be relevant to Swiss audiences. The fellow will submit regular updates during their stay, and present their work with different Asia Society Switzerland audiences upon their return.
Application for the Gen A Alumni Travel Grant is open to the Gen A Alumni Community only. Applicants must have successfully completed the Gen A Young Leader Program.
About the Gen A Alumni Community
The Gen A Young Leaders Program has been launched by Asia Society Switzerland in 2020. After the completion of the Gen A Young Leadership program, many continue to be highly engaged in our alumni community, that we launched in 2022 to ensure a continued access to this growing and vibrant community of over 60 Young Leaders. Asia Society Switzerland is proud of this diverse and highly skilled community and is continuing to engage and support it.
Requirements and Details
- Applicants must have successfully completed and graduated from the Gen A Young Leadership program (not open to the current cohort).
- The Travel Grant offers the fixed sum of CHF 10'000 to one person to spend a longer time (6-12 weeks) in Asia.
- The trip focusses on a specific project (e.g. an academic project, an internship on the ground, an art-related project, etc.).
- The project aims at deepening the Asia Competence of the fellow, and has a tangible outcome that is accessible and relevant to a Swiss audience.
- The fellow is required to provide regular updates on their work during their stay (e.g. a project blog or upon agreement), and to be available for discussing their work with different Asia Society Switzerland audiences once they return.
- Planning and organization of the trip is entirely the responsibility of the fellow. Asia Society Switzerland can provide support and introductions where needed.
- Travel expenses to and from Asia should not exceed CHF 2500. Depending on the location, exceptions can be made.
- After the Travel Grant is awarded, the fellow is required to start their trip within the next 9 months. Earliest start date: Mid-May 2023, latest start date: 1. March 2024.
- The fellow is required to have travel insurance for the trip.
Fellows can apply by submitting an application dossier entailing the following elements:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Short abstract of the project
- Project plan, including topic outline, timeline, and budget (more below)
Applications for the Gen A Alumni Travel Grant are open until April 30, 2023. Please upload your application dossier here. The selected fellow will be notified by May 15, 2023.
The project plan should be max 2 pages long. It should:
- Give a clear overview over the details of the project. The outline should state how the project will benefit from on-the-ground access and in-person meetings. It should state how the project will raise the Asia Competence of the Travel Grant recipient and what the expected impact of the project will be – and who will be impacted by it.
- Contain a clear timeline, listing ideal travel dates, estimated publication date and other milestones and challenges. Asia Society Switzerland might be able to support with some of them.
- A detailed budget for the duration of the project, as well as information on other funding sources (if they exist).
The Gen A Alumni Travel Grant is made possible by Investment Management Professionals (IMP AG).