Asia Briefing LIVE 2019 (Sydney)VIEW EVENT DETAILS
Our annual executive forum taking the pulse of Asia and Australia’s engagement with the region
Following on from the success of our inaugural Asia Briefing LIVE in 2018, Asia Society Australia and Bloomberg will once again bring together 100 senior business leaders, analysts and policy makers for an intensive half-day deep dive into Asia’s geopolitics, economies and business.
Last years event was addressed among others by: Prime Minister Scott Morrison; Shadow Treasurer Chris Bowen; Martin Tricaud, CEO of HSBC Australia; Richard Maude, Deputy Secretary of DFAT for Indo-Pacific; Ambassador of the Republic of Korea; High Commissioner of Singapore and international speakers – Professor Minxin Pei and TN Ninan. The event generated significant media attention.
- Australian leaders need to be well briefed and prepared to navigate economic and strategic dynamics in Asia.
- Our region’s geopolitical, geoconomic and business landscape is changing at a breakneck speed.
- Asia is fast becoming more strategically contested and more competitive economically, as the regional economies continue to grow and power balance continues to shift to Asia.
- China and the US are locked in an escalating trade conflict, and the United States is formally pursuing a more competitive relationship with China across strategic and economic domains, which puts pressure on Australia and other middle and small powers to balance more delicately its economic and security interests and relationships.
- Elections in India, Indonesia, Thailand, the Philipines and Australia open opportunities and pose new risks in our region and Australia’s own political and economic settings are changing.
- Asia continues to fuel the Australian economy and our prosperity, with six of Australia’s top ten two-way trading partners in Asia and the growing mobility of tourists, students and migrants from the region.
- Australia-China relationship continues to be challenging and a new normal of “bounded engagement” with China is emerging.
Date: Thursday 8 August 2019
Time: 8:30 am - 2:00 pm
Venue: Bloomberg, Level 28, 1 Bligh Street, Sydney CBD
This event is by invitation only, with places limited and preferenced to Asia Society Australia lead members and invited stakeholders.
Invited guests will receive further instruction on how to register. If you're unsure, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 02 8199 9402 for more information.
8.30 – 9.15 Guest registration
9.15 – 9.25 Welcome to Country
9.25 – 9.35 Welcome by Forum Chairs
9.35 – 10.35 Asia’s new geopolitics
Analysts, diplomats, and policy leaders assess
Asia’s strategic landscape and the foreign policy
trajectories of key players.
10.35 – 10.50 Coffee Break
10.50 – 11.50 Asia’s Economies and Markets
Economists and business leaders analyse the key
issues in Asia’s major economies and markets
and determine how they affect Australia.
11.50 – 12.05 Australia-Asia 360°
A live poll and interactive analysis unpacking the
comments and key themes of the day
12.05 – 13.00 Lunch and entertainment on the Bloomberg Terrace
13.00 – 13.45 Keynote address
A major address on Australia’s relationship with the
region by a senior Australian political leader, followed
by an in-conversation interview with a Bloomberg journalist.
See all of Rocco's live animation from Asia Briefing LIVE 2018.
This event is presented in partnership with:
Bloomberg, Level 28, 1 Bligh Street, Sydney CBD, NSW