Strategic Plan 2021-2026
Navigating shared futures
Global Asia Society Statement of Purpose
The Asia Society’s purpose is to navigate shared futures for Asia and the world across policy, business, arts and culture, education, sustainability, and technology.
We strive to be Australia’s leading global think-tank dedicated to Asia, focussing on the interplay between business and policy.
We connect business, policy and society, helping Australians to understand and engage with Asia and to navigate our shared futures.
Our mission is to prepare Australians for deeper and sustainable engagement with a more complex Asia.
- Excellence: we provide world-class expertise, a region-wide perspective and a global outlook.
- Independence: we are an independent, non-partisan, non-political, non-profit organisation with a national mission.
- Diversity and inclusion: We are a champion of diversity - of regional outlook, of culture, of opinion and of our Asian-Australian communities.
- Respect and integrity: We value every member of our network for the contribution they make to our success. We act with the highest standards to encourage freedom of expression, creativity, collegiality, and robust and respectful debate.
Our Value Proposition
Inform and inspire: We provide a global perspective – with an Australian focus - to geopolitical, economic, business and social trends and developments across Asia to help and inspire Australian leaders and organisations make informed decisions, achieve business outcomes and engage effectively and sustainably with Asia.
Connect and contribute: We connect Australian leaders, organisations and communities with each other, with their peers in Asia and across the Asia Society’s global network, to build relationships, share insights, develop understanding and contribute to solutions for our shared future.
Empower: We develop Australia’s capability to engage with Asia, to strengthen our prosperity and security, and to enable greater contribution of our communities to Australia’s shared future in Asia.
Our goals for Asia Society Australia are:
- to be the leading voice in Australia about Asia’s business, politics and society, and to be a leading voice about Australia in Asia;
- to be a truly national institution and a digital-first organisation, with the national centre in Melbourne, an office in Sydney and accessible across Australia and globally through face-to-face and digital platforms;
- to be a leading contributor to solving the national policy challenges of building deeper economic, political and people relationships, and a better understanding of the cultures across Asia, pursuing shared aspirations, and managing strategic challenges with our partners in Asia; and
- to expand our in-house expertise, strengthen our reputation as a champion and a convenor of informed debate and dialogue, and to be a major contributor to Asia Society’s global programs and publications.
Our strategic priorities are linked to the major challenges and opportunities that are facing Australia and Asia.