Asia Briefing LIVE 2019 Preview (Melbourne)VIEW EVENT DETAILS
Catch the best of Asia Briefing LIVE in Melbourne
This year we are bringing the best of Asia Briefing LIVE to Melbourne. Join us at this special preview event as we take a deep dive into Asia’s geopolitics, economies and business.
Date: Tuesday 6 August 2019
Time: 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Venue: Deloitte Australia, Level 10, 550 Bourke Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
This event is by invitation only, with places limited and preferenced to Asia Society Australia lead members and invited stakeholders. Invited guests will receive further instruction on how to register. If you're unsure, please contact email@example.com for further information.
More details to be announced.
12.00 – 12.25 Guest registration
12.25 – 12.30 Welcome by Forum Chairs
12.30 – 1.15 Neighbourhood Watch
Danny Russel, Dr Jaleh Daie and Dr Shirley Yu assess
Asia’s strategic landscape and the foreign policy
trajectories of key players.
1.15 – 1.45 Q&A
1.45 – 2.00 Australia-Asia 360°
A live poll and interactive analysis unpacking the
comments and key themes of the day.
- Australian leaders need to be well briefed and prepared to navigate economic and strategic dynamics in Asia.
- Our region’s geopolitical, geoeconomic and business landscape is changing at a breakneck speed.
- Asia is fast becoming more strategically contested and more competitive economically, as the regional economies continue to grow and power balance continues to shift to Asia.
- China and the US are locked in an escalating trade conflict, and the United States is formally pursuing a more competitive relationship with China across strategic and economic domains, which puts pressure on Australia and other middle and small powers to balance more delicately its economic and security interests and relationships.
- Elections in India, Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines and Australia open opportunities and pose new risks in our region and Australia’s own political and economic settings are changing.
- Asia continues to fuel the Australian economy and our prosperity, with six of Australia’s top ten two-way trading partners in Asia and the growing mobility of tourists, students and migrants from the region.
- Australia-China relationship continues to be challenging and a new normal of “bounded engagement” with China is emerging.
Explore Asia Briefing LIVE 2018
The 2018 event was addressed by: Prime Minister Scott Morrison; Shadow Treasurer Chris Bowen; Martin Tricaud, CEO of HSBC Australia; Richard Maude, Deputy Secretary of DFAT for Indo-Pacific; Ambassador of the Republic of Korea; High Commissioner of Singapore and international speakers – Professor Minxin Pei and TN Ninan. The event generated significant media attention.
Level 10, 550 Bourke Street
Melbourne, VIC 3000
For event details visit https://asiasociety.org/australia/events/asia-briefing-live-2019-preview-melbourne Deloitte Australia Level 10, 550 Bourke Street Melbourne, VIC 3000