Hummus the MovieVIEW EVENT DETAILS
The 17th Hong Kong Jewish Film Festival
Double Feature with The Chop
It is safe to say hummus is a delicious staple of worldwide cuisine. This documentary takes us to Israel, where hummus is a national dish, to meet three passionate hummus aficionados and hear their stories.
Jalil is a young Christian-Arab who has taken over his family’s hummus restaurant. Eliyahu is a former ‘drop out’ who has embraced the Hasidic Jewish community, opening a chain of successful kosher hummus restaurants. And perhaps most inspirational is Suheila, the only woman to own her own business in the Arab market. She won the Golden Pita Award for Best Hummus, beating 10 men for the title. Combining the stories of each individual’s personal journey with historical hummus facts and delicious footage of the hummus-making process, director Oren Rosenfeld’s documentary shows how the food has positively affected Israeli culture—and is even able to transcend religious and political divides.
*Hummus will be served.
Directed by Lewis Rose
17 mins | UK | 2015 | Short / Comedy | English
Yossi, a charismatic and young kosher butcher, loses his job. Failing to find a new one, he decides to disguise himself as Yusuf in order to get work at a Halal butchers. Can he put on a convincing performance whilst keeping his Jewish identity intact?
- Palm Springs Shorts Fest: Audience Award – Best Live Action
- Krakow International Film Festival: Audience Award – Best Film of the Festival
- Cleveland International Film Festival: Best Comedy Short
- Palm Springs Shorts Fest: Best Short
- Rhode Island Flicker Fest: Best Short
- Athens Ohio International Film Festival: Best Short
- Manhattan International Film Festival: Best Short
- Cardiff Independent Film Festival: Best Short