Kuwaiti Murabyan with Shrimp
October 28, 2021 – Asia Society Korea continues its halal food series by collaborating with the Embassy of the State of Kuwait. Kuwaiti Ambassador H.E. Bader Al-Awadi kindly showcased the recipe for murabyan, a traditional Kuwaiti rice dish with the official chef of the Kuwait Embassy, Mr. Harun Mohammed. Check out their recipe for Kuwaiti murabyan with shrimp that will invite you to an authentic culinary experience of the State of Kuwait.
Rice is a staple cuisine and culture of Asia. This special episode of the halal food series covers the simplest cooking method for and traditional presentation of murabyan — a beloved dish made with Basmati rice and shrimp. This traditional Kuwaiti dish is flavored with sauteed onions, Curcuma powder, cilantro, and a variety of spices. With recipes from the Kuwait Embassy, dive into the world of murabyan and explore the connections between touch, texture, aroma, and flavor.
#EatTasteLearn encourages you to try healthy cuisine by promoting a sustainable food culture. Do not hesitate to join us in this ecological initiative!
- 5 cups of Basmati rice (or 1.5 kg)
- 2 kg of shrimp (or 2 bags of shrimp) to be cleaned and cut in half
- 3 big onions (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of fresh minced ginger
- 1 cup of fresh chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup of corn oil
- 9 cups of hot water
- 1 tablespoon of curcuma powder (turmeric)
- 1/2 tablespoon of Indian curry
- 1 tablespoon of crushed mixed spices (black pepper, red hot pepper, cumin, ginger powder, paprika, coriander powder)
- 1 teaspoon of coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Wash the Basmati rice very well and leave it for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Place a big cooking pot on the range at medium heat, then add half the shrimp and half a teaspoon of the curcuma powder. Cook them together for 15 minutes. After that, pour out the excess liquid.
- Add the corn oil and the chopped onion to the big pot and mix it until the onion turns gold or yellow, then put in the rest of the shrimp, garlic, ginger, salt, and all the crushed mixed spices. Mix everything very well and let it cook for 10 minutes. After that, add the cilantro and mix everything very well. Close the pot and let it cook for another 15minutes.
- Take out half of the shrimp mixture and put it in a bowl.
- Remove the water from the Basmati rice.
- Put the rice in the pot and stir it into the other shrimp and spices. Pour in the 9 cups of hot water. Stir the rice softly with the other ingredients, then close the pot and leave it for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Check the rice to be sure that the water starts to evaporate. After checking that the water is evaporating, lower the heat to the lowest level. Put a simmering ring under the cooking pot and let it cook for 30 minutes.
- Reheat the other half of the shrimp in a pan.
- Open the rice pot after it simmers for 30 minutes and serve it on a big plate.
- Garnish and decorate the dish by using the rest of the shrimp that were reheated in Step 8.
About the Participants