Asia 21 Young Leaders Summit 2011
The Preliminary Agenda for the 2011 Summit is available here.
The Reading List for the 2011 Summit can be accessed here.
2011 Summit Reading List
Download the complete reading list
Session 1: Lessons in Leadership
- Bryant, Adam. “Does Your Team Have the Four Essential Types?” New York Times (2010)
- Drayton, Bill. “Everyone a Changemaker.” Innovations (2006)
- Yuwa, Hedrick-Wong. “The Three Paths-Meeting: Leadership Challenges in China and India.” Leadership in Action (2006)
Session 2: Out of Iran
Session 3: The Future of Inequality in the Asia-Pacific Region and How to Address It
- Bermeo, Nancy. “Does Electoral Democracy Boost Economic Equality?” Journal of Democracy (2009)
- Kark, Arjun K. “Addressing Issues of Poverty and Inequality through Democracy.” World Forum for Democratisation in Asia (2009)
- Kirk, Donald. “OECD warns Korea of Inequality Challenge.” Asia Times Online (2011)
- Montlake, Simon. “Gender inequality costs Asia $47 billion annually.” The Christian Science Monitor (2011)
- NZ Herald. “Inequality major hurdle in Asia’s race to prosperity.” (2011)
- Philippine Daily Inquirer/ANN. “Filipinos leads in income inequality in Asia.” (2011)
- Wade, Matt. “Riding first class on Asia’s middle class.” Sydney Morning Herald (2011)
- Wall Street Journal. “The Wealth of Asians.” (2011)
- Wan, Guanghua and Sebastian, Iva. “Poverty in Asia and the Pacific: An Update.” Asian Development Bank (2011)
- Wang Feng. “The End of ‘Growth with Equity’? Economic Growth and Income Inequality in East Asia.” East West Center (2011)
- Wheatley, Alan. “Asian Economies Recalibrate to Address Inequality.” New York Times (2011)
Session 4: Breakouts
Breakout 1: The Young, the Old, and the Restless: How should Asia deal with its Demographic Dilemma?
- Asahi. “Japan needs to open its doors wider for foreign workers.” (2011)
- BBC. “Ageing populations could hurt Asian growth, says ADB” (2011)
- Durodie, Bill. “The Benefits of an Aging Population in Asia.” Jarkata Globe (2010)
- East West Center. “Asia’s Aging Population.”
- Jackson, Richard. “The Global Aging Preparedness Index.” Center for Strategic and International Studies, (2010)
- Lee, Sang-Hyop and Mason, Andrew and Park, Donghyun. “Why Does Population Aging Matter So Much for Asia? Population Aging, Economic Security, and Economic Growth in Asia.” ERIA (2011)
- Mrsnik, Marko. “Standard & Poor’s: Global Aging 2010: An Irreversible Truth.” Council on Foreign Relations (2010)
- National Academy of Sciences. “Rapid Population Aging Will Raise Critical Challenges for Asian Governments.” (2011)
- Wade, Matt. “From demographic dividend to deficit.” Sydney Morning Herald (2011)
Breakout 2: Can Asia develop a sustainable energy policy?
- McKinsey & Company. “Environmental and Energy Sustainability: An Approach for India.” (2009)
- Peimani, Hooman. “Nuclear Energy in Asia: A Post-Fukushima Perspective.” Journal of Energy Security (2011)
- Schearf, Daniel. “Southeast Asia Nuclear Power Plans Unfazed by Japan Emergency.” Voice of America (2011)
- UN Global Compact. “A New Era of Sustainability.” Accenture (2010)
- Wong, Edward. “Plan for China’s Water Crisis Spurs Concern” New York Times (2011)
Breakout 3: Is corruption hampering Asia’s development? If so, what can be done to stop it?
- Corben, Ron. “UN Asia Pacific Chief: Corruption Feeding Poverty, Halting Social Development.” Voice of America (2011)
- Drury, A. Cooper, and Krieckhaus, Jonathan, and Lusztig, Michael. “Corruption, Democracy, and Economic Growth.” International Political Science Review, republished by SAGE. (2006)
- Haider, Mehtab. “Corruption, political instability major constraints in South Asia.” The News, (2011)
- Manila Bulletin. “Aquino’s War on corruption lauded.” (2011)
- Marshall, Andrew. “How Corruption is Holding Asia Back.” TIME Magazine (2010)
- Quah, Jon S.T. “Curbing Asian Corruption: An Impossible Dream?” Current History (2006)
- Syed, Saira. “Asia counts the cost of corruption.” BBC (2011)
Breakout 4: Should Asia feed itself before thinking about civil rights?
- Chang Yu-tzung and Zhu Yunhan and Pak, Chong-min. “Authoritarian Nostalgia in Asia.” Journal of Democracy (2007)
- Dalton, Russell J. and Nhu-Ngoc T. Ong. “Authority Orientations and Democratic Attitudes: A Test of the ‘Asian Values’ Hypothesis.” Japanese Journal of Political Science (2005)
- Thompson, Mark R. “Pacific Asia after ‘Asian Values’: Authoritarianism, Democracy, and ‘Good Governance.” Third World Quarterly (2004)
Break out 5: Will social media transform the Asian political landscape? Should it?
- Alexanian, Janet A. “Eyewitness Accounts and Political Claims: Transnational Responses to the 2009 Postelection Protests in Iran.” Republished by Project MUSE
- Bennett, Isabella. “Media Censorship in China.” Council on Foreign Relations (2011)
- Clinton, Hillary. “Secretary Clinton’s Speech on Internet Freedom” Speech Transcript (2011).
- Fitzpatrick, Michelle. “Social media use soars in flood-hit Thailand.” AFP (2011)
- Larmer, Brook. “Where an Internet Joke Is Not Just a Joke.” New York Times (2011)
- Ross, Alec. “Internet Freedom: Historic Roots and the Road Forward.” SAIS Review. Republished by Project MUSE (2010)
- Sharma, Rupak D. “Social media and politics.” Asia News Network (2011)
- Simpson, Peter. “China Likely to Ignore Clinton’s Internet Freedom Speech.” Voice of America (2011)
Breakout 6: What are the biggest impediments to the development of Asia’s next generation women leaders? How can they be overcome?
- APEC. “Ministerial Statements: 2011 High Level Policy Dialogue on Women and the Economy.” (2011)
- Asia Society. “Developing Next Generation Women Leaders Across the Asia Pacific Region.” (2011)
- Ayaan-Hirsi, Ali. “International Not-All-Women’s Day.” American Enterprise Institute (2010)
- Hollingsworth/Corbis, Jack. “Tradition and Change in Marriage and Family Life.” East West Center
- International Labour Organization. “Window of opportunity for Asia to improve gender equality at work.” (2011)
- Sharma, Ritu and Keefe, Joe. “A Solution For A Struggling Economy: Gender Equality.” Forbes (2011)
- Supp, Barbara. “Can Globalization Help Women out of Traditional Roles.” Spiegel Online (2009)
- UNDP. “Power, Voice and Rights: A Turning Point for Gender Equality in Asia and the Pacific.”