Meeting History and Agendas
Global Cities Education Network (GCEN) members gather annually for a dynamic, three-day learning experience that includes school site visits, collaborative exchanges, and presentations from experts, with a focus on issues identified by the cities and facilitated by those on the cutting edge of practice and policy. Seven symposia have been held: Hong Kong in May 2012, Seattle in January 2013, Singapore in October 2013, Toronto in October 2014, Shanghai in November 2015, London in November 2016, and Denver in November 2017.
- Denver Symposium, November 2017
- London Symposium, November 2016
- Shanghai Symposium, November 2015
- Toronto Symposium, October 2014
- Singapore Symposium, October 2013
- Seattle Symposium, January 2013
- Hong Kong Symposium, May 2012
In between meetings and building off the cities agreed-upon areas of focus, the network has engaged in studies and formed working groups around the topics of:
- Developing and sustaining a high-quality teaching force;
- Career and technical education (CTE/VET); and
- Developing 21st century competencies.
Starting in 2014, the working groups are utilizing Asia Society-created case studies and background materials to participate in expert-led workshops. Within these working groups, cities will strive to collaboratively transform best practice discussion into policy and practice change.
Developing and Sustaining a High-Quality Teaching Force
Career and Technical Education
Developing 21st Century Competencies
- 2015: Shanghai