November 15 & 16, 2023 - Asia Society Northern California hosted its Long Conversation Event at the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) in San Francisco. The Long Conversation features leaders from a variety of fields conducting 15-minute rolling interviews on a single topic. The theme on Day 1, November 15, was Resiliency. The theme on Day 2, November 16, was Entrepreneurship.
“The Long Conversation: A Marathon of big thinkers and ideas on Resiliency," Nov 15
We heard insights on Resiliency from the perspectives of environmental sustainability; AAPI leadership; geopolitics; security; diplomacy; tech & artificial intelligence; education; and personal perseverance.
Hafimi Abdul Haadi, Chair of the ABAC Inclusion Task Force, shared Brunei’s progress in adopting renewable energy, and the resilience demonstrated by the country during COVID.
Dee Dee Myers, Senior Advisor to California’s Governor, spoke about the growth of California’s economy, and highlighted the diverse nature of the state, which has enabled billion-dollar industries such as Hollywood to prosper.
Ambassador Rahm Emanuel, 31st United States Ambassador to Japan, discussed the political aspects of being an ambassador, national security issues concerning Japan, and the country’s utilization of renewable energy.
Ian Bremmer, President of Eurasia Group, shared his compelling insights on conflicts in Europe and the Middle East and their impact on the Indo-Pacific.
Ambassador Hoesung Lee, Special Ambassador for Carbon-Free Energy, discussed carbon consumption patterns and attempts to reduce Carbon emissions.
Eunice Kim, Netflix’s Chief Product Officer, talked about her role at Netflix and the increased diversification of Netflix’s portfolio.
Andrew Ng, Founder of DeepLearning.AI and Co-founder and Chairman of Coursera, emphasized the importance of AI and the need for a reduction in burdensome regulations concerning AI.
Gary Rieschel, Chairman of the Asia Society Northern California & Seattle, shared his insights on U.S.-China relations by highlighting the need for dialogue between the two countries for global stability.
“The Long Conversation: A Marathon of big thinkers and ideas on Entrepreneurship," Nov 16
We heard insights on Entrepreneurship from the perspectives of disability and accessibility; technological innovation; artificial intelligence; clean energy; investment; international business; global policy; and equity and inclusion for gender and race.
Thank you to our speakers on Entrepreneurship:
- Sara Minkara, U.S. Special Advisor on International Disability Rights
- Tammy Ma, Lead of the Inertial Fusion Energy Initiative, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory where they achieved controlled thermonuclear fusion; Asia Society Game Changer West Honoree
- Mike Yeh, Vice President, Corporate External and Legal Affairs, Microsoft Asia
- Cooper Abbott, Chief Executive Officer, Matthews Asia
- James Higa, Founder & Managing Partner Offline Ventures; Board Member of the US Olympic and Paralympic Committee; former Senior Director, Office of the CEO, Apple (Special Operations for Steve Jobs)
- Camille Purvis Dawson, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Bureau of East Asian and Pacific Affairs, U.S. Department of State
- Peter Schwartz, Senior VP for Global Government Relations & Strategic Planning, Salesforce
- Ken Wilcox, Chairman Emeritus, Silicon Valley Bank; Honorary Chair, Asia Society Northern California