Global CTE Toolkit: Projects, Videos, Resources, and More
Career and technical education (CTE) teachers need to not only teach the technical and academic skills needed for their content area, they also need to teach students 21st century skills that will make them successful working in a global marketplace. Therefore, a substantive understanding of how local issues relate to global challenges is the foundation of global competence and is required in all career pathways.
Specifically, globally competent students are able to:
- Investigate the World. Students ask and explore questions that are globally significant.
- Weigh Perspectives. Students recognize they have a unique perspective and that others may not share it, but they are able to respect all perspectives and create a new point of view.
- Communicate Ideas. Students can effectively communicate, verbally and non-verbally, with diverse groups.
- Take Action. Student can weigh options for action based on evidence and insight, see the potential consequences, then act and reflect on their actions.
While it is important to examine the four capacities above individually, global competence is best seen as an integrated outlook on the world—not a collection of independent skills.
These skills are required and highly desirable when considering the Marketing pathway and there are a wide range of applications within it. We are reminded that those who work in marketing must be able to reach people of different cultures and backgrounds. This reality requires a deep understanding of the global nature of this field for those who choose specialize in it.
These globally focused projects, written by CTE educators and aligned to the Common Core by ELA, math and science educators, can be used as stand alone projects in one CTE classroom or can be combined by multiple CTE educators in a building. These projects are based around themes and contain the lesson plans, assessment information, and auxiliary materials an educator needs for implementation. Listed below are themes and the projects relevant to the Marketing pathway.
- Health Sciences
- Family Consumer Science
Project Planning Template
Use this blank project planning template to plan your own global CTE project! (Can be used on your own, or in conjunction with Module 2 of the Global CTE PD Course).
Standards, Crosswalks, and Rubrics
The Common Career Technical Core is a common set of CTE standards created for each of Advance CTE’s 16 Career Cluster areas. This document crosswalks the Marketing cluster with the four domains of global competence, demonstrating the clear alignment between global education and careers in this field. This crosswalk is also filled with ideas of global projects that can support the standards taught in each of the career pathways.
Career Profile and Classroom Videos
- Ohio Global/Foreign Language Careers: This site contains video profiles and career exploration materials for middle and high school students. Global jobs from Advertising, Business, Education, Arts, and Culinary/Hospitality pathways are featured.
- RoadTrip Nation: A database of career interviews from virtually every profession! (subscription required)
Global CTSO Activities
This section contains links to Career and Technical Student Organizations (CTSO) with global activity options. Remember, many activities allow some freedom for students to choose their focus - encourage them to choose a global issue.
Resources coming soon!
Global CTE Toolkit
This is part of the Center for Global Education's Global CTE Toolkit, which provides professional development, tools, and resources to help CTE educators integrate global competence into their curriculum. Learn more »