2021 ExploreAsia: Culture Camp for KidsVIEW EVENT DETAILS
2021 Summer Youth Programs
In this week-long session in partnership with Writers in the Schools (WITS), campers will have the chance to explore character, setting, and story structure in order to generate their own 5-minute plays! Each day will feature inspiration from Asian mythology, time for improvisation, and the revision of monologues and dialogues. Campers will culminate in a supportive workshop performance of their scripts, starring the playwrights themselves.
Recommended for students ages 9–12. This camp is in-person.
$325 Members, $375 Nonmembers
"[My daughter] liked every part of the week. She became bereft Thursday afternoon knowing that it would come to an end." — Parent, Summer Camper
"How rewarding [it is] to find a place that brings the best of so many camps [...] and is able to also showcase the richness of Asia and its contributions." — Parent, Summer Camper
"My kids were very happy all week; every day for them was so much fun. They made very good friends. They enjoyed and appreciated the service and attention they received from each one of the instructors." — Parent, Summer Camper
Animated Stories: A Stop-Motion Animation and Writing Virtual Camp
Monday, June 14 – Friday, June 18, 2021
Inspired by stories from Asia, work with a professional Writers in the Schools (WITS) writer to create your own stories and poems, then bring them to life on-screen via stop-motion animation!
Recommended for students ages 9–12. This camp is virtual.
For Teens: Art and Social Justice
Monday, June 21 – Friday, June 25, 2021
Teen voices are powerful forces for social change. Develop artistic tools to be in conversation with what you see in the world, learn about various cultures and social justice issues, and create art reflecting your beliefs.
Recommended for students ages 13–17. This camp is in-person.
Monday, June 28 – Friday, July 2, 2021
Create your own comics inspired by the Japanese manga style! Beginner to Advanced students will learn to bring comics to life on both paper and the web.
Recommended for students ages 9–14. This camp is in-person. Students will form small groups based on age.
Animals and Fantastic Beasts of Asia
Monday, July 19 – Friday, July 23, 2021
Go on a safari across Asia! Learn about the unique animals and mythical creatures that come from Asia, and explore a different region each day to learn about habitats, legends, and more.
Recommended for students ages 6–9. This camp is in-person.
Health and Safety Protocols
- Capacity has been reduced by 50 percent. One virtual ExploreAsia camp option is available for families interested in virtual programming.
- Students will be screened each morning with temperature checks.
- Camp space will be arranged with social distancing guidelines and procedures in place.
- All Asia Society staff and volunteers will wear masks and be screened daily in accordance with Asia Society Texas Center's health and safety policy.
- All students will be required to wear a mask.
- Access to camp spaces will be limited to students and Asia Society staff and volunteers. All drop-off and pick-up for students will take place curbside at the building's front entrance to maintain the integrity of our camp spaces. Those dropping off or picking up will be required to wear masks.
- Camp games and activities will occur in camp-specific places. Students will visit the exhibition gallery when the building is closed to other visitors.
- Camp spaces will undergo a thorough daily cleaning, with supplies sanitized as they are used.
Policies are informed by current recommendations from local, state, and federal health officials, agencies, and authorities, including Harris County recommendations and CDC guidelines. As such, these policies may shift or change.
Due to the high demand for camp spaces and the limited number of spots available, all sales are considered final. Patrons who provide a written notice of cancelation to JKapral@asiasociety.org on or before May 1 will receive a 50 percent refund of their camp registration fees. No refunds will be issued after this date, including for participants who miss all or partial programs due to illness. Asia Society Texas Center reserves the right to cancel any program due to minimum enrollment, inclement weather, or unforeseen circumstances, in which case a full refund will be issued. Cancelations are official upon receipt of confirmation from Asia Society staff.
Education and Outreach programs at Asia Society Texas Center are presented by Wells Fargo. Generous funding also provided by Margie and Joe Blommaert, Cathay Bank Foundation, Chevron, the George and Mary Josephine Hamman Foundation, and H-E-B. Additional support is provided by Friends of Asia Society Texas Center, a dedicated group of individuals and organizations committed to bringing the best in exhibitions and public programming to Houston.
1370 Southmore Blvd
Houston, TX 77004
For event details visit https://asiasociety.org/texas/events/2021-exploreasia-culture-camp-kids-1 1370 Southmore Blvd Houston, TX 77004