Kulinarya Favorites: Paksiw na Bangus
Favorite online recipes from Kulinarya (A Guide Book to Philippine Cuisine)
PAKSIW NA BANGUS
Milkfish Stewed in Vinegar
* Serves 4
Cooking with vinegar makes Filipino cuisine distinct. Although, paksiw is called by various names all over the country, the process is the same. It is similar to adobo but paksiw applies mainly to seafood, especially fish. Freshness is prerequisite, because the vinegar hides nothing and enhances the flavor of the fish.
* 2 boneless bangus (milkfish) bellies from a 600-700g bangus
* 8 cloves | 40g garlic
* 1 thumb-sized pc | 30g ginger
* 4 | 600g eggplants
* 2 | 300g small ampalaya (bitter gourds)
* 1/2 cup | 120ml vinegar
* 4 green finger chilies (siling pangsigang)
* 1 1/2 cups | 360ml water
* 2tsp | 10g salt
2tbsp | 30ml oil
1. Cut the belly just below the head of the fish to where the belly fat ends. Cut crosswise into two and lengthwise in half. Wash and pat dry.
2. Peel and slice the garlic thinly.
3. Peel and slice the ginger thinly into rounds.
4. Remove stem of eggplant, slice diagonally into 1-in pieces.
5. Slice ampalaya into thin rings. Scrape off the white membrane and discard seeds, if any.
1. In a non-reactive cookware (stainless steel pan or glazed clay pot) place the vinegar, garlic, ginger, finger chilies, and water.
2. Add the bangus, bring to a boil then lower immediately to simmer while scooping the sauce over the bangus belly repeatedly. After 10 minutes, add the vegetables. Season with salt.
3. Add oil.
4. Simmer for another 10 minutes. Remove from heat and then plate.
* Serving suggestion
Arrange the milkfish pieces belly side up and vegetable pieces in a dish with the sauce. Best served with hot rice.
Asia Society Philippines shares KULINARYA RECIPES online!
The recipes are a compilation of Asia Society Philippines team's favorite [simple and convenient] recipes to do at home during the Enhanced Community Quarantine.
Let us all catch a break and try out new recipes!
For the full version of Kulinarya, it is now available at bookstores nationwide for PHP 795.
For bulk orders, contact Asia Society at firstname.lastname@example.org or direct message us in Facebook or Instagram: @AsiaSocietyPH