Kulinarya Favorites: Adobong Puti
Favorite online recipes from Kulinarya (A Guide Book to Philippine Cuisine)
Stewed Pork and Chicken in White Vinegar
* Serves 4 to 6
White adobo gets its name from the "white" (i.e., clear) vinegar it uses -- the appearance of the dish is actually brown, due to the frying. Purists insist that "white adobo" is the classic version, because it highlights the trio of basic adobo flavors: vinegar, garlic and peppercorns, and eliminates soy sauce, which tends to drown out the other flavors.
500 g pork belly (liempo)
6 cloves | 30g garlic
1/2 tbsp | 5g black peppercorns
1/2 cup | 120 ml vinegar (cane, palm, or white)
2 bay leaves
500g chicken parts as preferred (leg quarter, breast, wings)
1tbsp cooking oil
2 cups | 480 water
1 tbsp salt
1. Slice pork belly into 2.5 x 4cm | 1 x 1/2 in slices along the rib. Leave skin on.
2. Crush and peel the garlic.
3. Crack the black peppercorns.
4. Combine in a mixing bowl with the vinegar and bay leaves.
5. Add the pork and chicken to the marinade and let sit for at least 1 hour.
1. Using a heated deep pan, pour in the cooking oil. Fry the pork pieces until brown. Set aside.
2. Add the chicken pieces and fry until brown. Remove some of the rendered fat. Return the pork pieces.
3. Add the water and the marinade to the pan. Simmer for 20 minutes over medium heat until the chicken is cooked.
4. Remove the chicken from the mixture. Set aside.
5. Continue simmering until the pork is tender, or the liquid has almost evaporated.
6. Return the chicken. Taste and correct seasoning.
*Just before serving, reheat the adobo and serve hot.
Asia Society Philippines shares KULINARYA RECIPES online!
The recipes are a compilation of Asia Society Philippines team's favorite [simple and convenient] recipes to do at home during the Enhanced Community Quarantine.
Let us all catch a break and try out new recipes!
For the full version of Kulinarya, it is now available at bookstores nationwide for PHP 795.
For bulk orders, contact Asia Society at firstname.lastname@example.org or direct message us in Facebook or Instagram: @AsiaSocietyPH