Asia Society Hong Kong Center Chamber Opera Commission: Call for Mezzo Sopranos
CALL FOR MEZZO SOPRANOS
Mila (the Stranger at Home)
Asia Society Hong Kong Center has commissioned a new chamber opera to be premiered in Hong Kong in January 2018. We are looking for high calibre, classically trained, female singers to fill the main role of the opera.
Description of project
A 4-scene chamber opera with original music and libretto, live vocal and instrumental musicians. Approximately 60 minutes in length with no intermission.
Mila is a domestic helper from the Philippines. She is new to Hong Kong and this superior family. Mila is hardworking and patient despite her employers’ fussy and negative attitude. What bothers her though, is her little master’s suicidal inclination. It touches Mila’s old wound and she is determined to rescue him.
- Boy / Girl
- Swimming pool / A riverbed in the Philippines
Profiles of the four singing roles:
- Father Male. Mid-30s to 40s*. English-speaking.
- Mother Female. Mid-30s to 40s*. Cantonese & English - speaking.
- Boy/Girl Teenage*. Cantonese & English - speaking.
- Helper Female. Mid-30s to 40s*. Filipino & English - speaking.
*Age ranges are of the characters, not of the singers being recruited.
- Rehearsal in Hong Kong up to 5 weeks in November 2017 - January 2018
- Performances in Hong Kong 1 week/ 4 shows in January 2018
We are now recruiting Mezzo Soprano applicants for the Helper role. Please forward your CV (with headshot photo) and sound / video links of recent performances to Yeng Rarugal at email@example.com by May 24, 2017. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by the production team for audition.