Managing Director, Development
Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Job Type: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary Range: $131,000 - $150,000
This individual will be a right hand and trusted advisor to the Chief Development Officer (CDO), overseeing all administrative and operational aspects of a dynamic and growing Development team. They will be responsible for their own significant fundraising portfolio and will also support the CDO on staff development and day-to-day donor stewardship.
Working as the department deputy leader, this person will also help oversee major gifts cultivation events and execution, management of prospect research, compliance with and use of the Salesforce CRM in partnership with the Development Operations Manager and facilitating special projects and research to assist the CDO in their leadership role in the organization.
Fundraising and Donor Stewardship:
- This role will manage their own portfolio of high net worth individuals, with an expectation that they will be responsible to raise a minimum of between $750K - $1M annually, with specific annual growth metrics including ratings system implementation.
Human Resources and Staff Development:
- Provide guidance and fundraising leadership by example to junior team members, directing them to relevant training and support.
- Oversee staff attendance and compliance and interface with Asia Society’s Human Resources Information System platform. Coordinate with the People and Culture department on employee issues on the CDO’s behalf.
- Review and first line-approve staff expenses in the Concur expense system. Keep CDO up to date with regular financial and fundraising reports and relevant Dashboards, leveraging CRM tools.
- In coordination with the CDO help prepare annual budgets and regular budget updates throughout the fiscal year. Liaise with other departments as required to help them develop fundraising goals and strategies.
- Working closely with the CDO, assist in interfacing with the Digital and Communications team on outreach campaigns and materials, including print, online and video. Coordinate communication, including agendas, for all internal and external events.
- Liaise with the IT and Salesforce teams, representing Development needs and issues to ensure timely solution.
- In coordination with Prospect Research Manager, oversee preparation of briefs and background reports used by senior staff and the Major Gifts team.
- Create streamlining processes with the CDO to make the Development team’s work more efficient, increasing ROI.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, specializing in membership, development, sales or marketing, business administration, or a related field. At least eight years of related experience in prospect research, fundraising/development experience, and non-profit experience strongly preferred. Should show progressive leadership experience and skills.
- Intermediate knowledge of donor types and understanding of fundraising processes and donor cycles.
- Must have strong qualitative and quantitative analytical and research skills and a proven track record as a creative problem solver.
- Experience with budgets and financial software systems is required. Experience with a CRM is needed, with knowledge of Salesforce and Marketing Cloud a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with high-level trustees and donors with total discretion and confidentiality.
- Must have exceptional communication skills (verbal and written) that include sensitivity to donor information.
- Must show strong team-building and collaboration skills and demonstrated respect for building a team culture of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion with an ability to effectively relate to a diverse audience.
- Detail-oriented and demonstrated ability to quickly and concisely synthesize large amounts of information.
- Proficient in Salesforce (preferable), MS Office (intermediate level) and experience with relational database such as WealthX.
- Knowledge of information systems including a variety of software, internet, and various databases, and knowledge of prospect research ethics, including statements by APRA and CASE, helpful.
Asia Society offers a competitive salary, as well as a comprehensive benefits package. For benefits information please visit www.asiasociety.org/about/careers and click on “Employee Benefits” to view our full benefits summary.
ABOUT ASIA SOCIETY:
Asia Society, founded by John D. Rockefeller the 3rd in 1956, is a global non-profit dedicated to identifying future pathways for Asia and the world which enhance peace, prosperity, freedom, equality, and sustainability. Headquartered in NYC, with 15 Centers located in Asia, the US and Europe, the Asia Society has a dynamic and impressive Board of Trustees of more than 70 international leaders representing thought leadership in policy, the arts, education as well as in governance and philanthropy.
Asia Society is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and empowering workplace. We believe that engaging staff, interns, and volunteers with diverse backgrounds enables us to better realize our mission of navigating shared futures.
Asia Society offers a generous benefits package including health, dental, and vision coverage, a 403(b) retirement plan, numerous paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, self-development hours, and more. Please visit www.asiasociety.org/about/careers and click on “Employee Benefits” to view our full benefits summary.
Benefit package highlights:
- An HRA plan is available to supplement our medical plan.
- After 1 year of service (1,000 hours), Asia Society contributes 6% of gross earnings to an eligible employee’s 403(b) account, regardless of whether the employee makes their own contributions.
- Asia Society offers Self-Development time off, including Self-Development Summer Fridays between July 4th and Labor Day.
HOW TO APPLY:
To be considered for this role, all interested applicants must submit a completed application to the following email: email@example.com.
A completed application must include:
- Resume or CV
- Cover Letter
- Salary Requirements
- Subject line containing: Managing Director, Development
Asia Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer who values diversity in the workplace. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.