Manager, Media Relations
Asia Society is looking for a Media Relations Manager to oversee the organization’s press outreach. This person will serve as the primary liaison between Asia Society and journalists, and be responsible for generating press coverage, booking our experts, crafting message, and placing op-eds and other content. The Media Relations Manager also serves as an advisor to Asia Society leadership on strategic communications issues, and is responsible for tracking current events and online conversation with an eye on identifying opportunities for the organization.
- Increase media coverage of Asia Society and its experts
- Build relationships with relevant members of the media to ensure our experts are sought after by the press, including for op-eds, live interviews, and statements
- Cultivate our policy experts, fellows, and leadership to be great brand ambassadors in the media, online, and at public events
- Coordinate breaking news rapid response scenarios, including messaging, press activation, social media response, and monitoring
- Advise global departments and centers on generating media coverage during major conferences, project launches, and other key moments
- Monitor news and social media and recommend opportunities to insert ourselves
- Other duties, as assigned.
- 3-4 years of related experience
- Experience working in or with media focused on Asia, politics, or public policy
- B.A. in related fields or equivalent experience
- Great writing skills
- Comfort staying actively engaged with journalists and fostering new relationships
- Ability to think on the fly and a comfort improvising in high pressure moments
- Experience leveraging social media to drive press attention and vice versa
- An interest in Asia and the work we do
ABOUT ASIA SOCIETY:
Asia Society, founded by John D. Rockefeller the 3rd in 1956, is a global non-profit dedicated to identifying future pathways for Asia and the world which enhance peace, prosperity, freedom, equality, and sustainability. Headquartered in NYC, with 15 Centers located in Asia, the US and Europe, Asia Society has a dynamic and impressive Board of Trustees of more than 70 international leaders representing thought leadership in policy, the arts, education as well as in governance and philanthropy.
Asia Society is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and empowering workplace. We believe that engaging staff, interns, and volunteers with diverse backgrounds enables us to better realize our mission of navigating shared futures.
Asia Society offers a generous benefits package including health, dental, and vision coverage, a 403(b) retirement plan, numerous paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, self-development hours, and more. Please visit www.asiasociety.org/about/careers and click on “Employee Benefits” to view our full benefits summary.
Benefit package highlights:
- An HRA plan (fully funded by Asia Society) supplements our medical plan and covers the full annual deductible.
- After 1 year of service (1,000 hours), Asia Society contributes 6% of gross earnings to an eligible employee’s 403(b) account, regardless of whether the employee makes their own contributions.
- Asia Society offers Self-Development time off, including Self-Development Summer Fridays between July 4th and Labor Day.
Asia Society is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
To be considered for this role, all interested applicants must submit a completed application to: marketingjobs@AsiaSociety.org.
A completed application must include:
- Resume or CV
- Cover Letter
- Salary Requirements
- Subject line, including the job title