New Report | Modernization of Primary Health Care Systems in Southeast Asia for Greater Cancer Control
November 15, 2023 — Improving primary health care systems is central to advancing health equity in Southeast Asia. A new report from the Asia Society Policy Institute explores the topic of modernizing these health care systems in Southeast Asia toward greater cancer control, by engaging with six key informants with expertise from across the region to provide policy recommendations. Although the context of each Southeast Asian country is unique, key themes emerged from the discussion that are relevant across the region.
The report is authored by Alexandra Zenoff, a Research Associate on Global Public Health at the Asia Society Policy Institute, and includes recommendations in the following areas: multisectoral collaboration, health care workforce capacity building, digital innovations, patient and community voices, evidence-based advocacy, and lessons learned from the COVID-19 pandemic.
The informants are:
- Nirmala Bhoo-Pathy, Professor of Epidemiology in the Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Malaya
- Kenneth Hartigan-Go, Senior Research Fellow, Ateneo Policy Center School of Government, Ateneo De Manila University, Philippines
- Stephen Jan, Co-Director of Health Systems Research, The George Institute for Global Health, University of New South Wales, Australia
- Kara Magsanoc-Alikpala, Founding President, ICanServe Foundation; Vice President, Cancer Coalition Philippines; Member, patient advisory board member of the Lancet Commission on Women and Cancer
- Ma. Dominga Cecilia B. Padilla, Public Health Advocate; Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Philippine General Hospital, UP College of Medicine (2008 to 2021)
- Carolyn Taylor, Executive Director, Global Focus on Cancer; Patient Advocate
Read the full report here.
For more information or to connect with Alexandra Zenoff, email email@example.com.
This project was made possible by the generous support of BeiGene.