Media Advisory: Center for Global Education at Asia Society Launch
NEW YORK, September 12, 2016 – Asia Society will launch its Center for Global Education (CGE) on September 22 at 10:00am in New York (local time). UNESCO Director-General Irina Bokova, CGE’s honorary chair, will deliver a keynote address.
Confirmed participants include:
- Frank Brown, Managing Director and COO of General Atlantic (CGE Advisor)
- Michael Crow, President, Arizona State University (via video)
- Ido Leffler, Co-founder and CEO of Yoobi (CGE Advisory Co-Chair)
- Hekia Parata, Minister of Education of New Zealand (CGE Advisor)
- Ellis Rubinstein, President and CEO, New York Academy of Sciences (CGE Advisor)
- Lizhong Yu, Chancellor of NYU Shanghai and (CGE Advisory Co-Chair)
CGE’s mission is to transform education by preparing young people for a global 21st century. The UN Sustainable Development Goals, which have ushered in a new era for international education, call for equitable access to a high-quality education that develops not only literacy and numeracy but also global citizenship and the relevant skills for employability.
Over the past 15 years, Asia Society has partnered with leading education organizations including the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the U.S. Department of Education, OECD, and UNESCO, and high-performing systems from Shanghai to Singapore, to advance global competence.
The Center builds on Asia Society’s work in global competence education by bringing together educators, businesses, and government officials, commissioning research and publishing insights, and partnering with schools and education systems to change policy and practice.
In addition to the launch event, Asia Society will host a series of discussions throughout the day with global leaders in education, business, government, and civil society including Global Business Coalition for Education Executive Chair Sarah Brown, Teach for All Founder and CEO Wendy Kopp, and OECD Director for Education and Skills Andreas Schleicher. All discussions will be live streamed at AsiaSociety.org/Live.