Asia Society Japan Center Policy Conference: Competing Visions for the Future of AsiaVIEW EVENT DETAILS
“Competing Visions for the Future of Asia”
There are two competing visions for the future of Asia, China’s Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) and the west’s Free and Open Indo-Pacific (FOIP). On one level, the competition between BRI and FOIP is a geopolitical rivalry. At a deeper level, it is two competitions, one between capitalism vs socialism, and another between democratic vs. authoritarian rule. The conference will explore these issues in depth, with experts from many countries seeking an approach that promotes peace and prosperity of the entire region.
2:30 pm: Doors Open / Registration
3:00 pm: Welcome from James Kondo, Representative Director, Asia Society Japan Center
3:15 -4:00 pm : Keynote Speech by Daniel Russel (ASPI)
4:10 - 5:05pm : Panel Discussion 1“The Economics of BRC and FOIP: Substitutes or Complements?”
Moderator: Robert Feldman, Senior Advisor, Morgan Stanley MUFG Securities Co., Ltd.
5:05-6:00pm : Panel Discussion 2 “Competing Visions of Asia’s Geo Politics and Geo Strategy"
Moderator: Glen S. Fukushima, Senior Fellow, Center for American Progress
•Ronald W. Chan, Chief Investment Officer, Chartwell Capital Limited
•Daniel Russel, Vice President, International Security and Diplomacy, Asia Society Policy Institute
•Hitoshi Tanaka, Senior Fellow, Japan Center for International Exchange (JCIE)
6:00-6:30pm : Cocktails
6:30-8:30p m : Casual dinner
Keynote: Danny Russel (ASPI)
Mr. Russel will be joining us following his notable publication on BRI in June. Based on his long years as a diplomat, Special Assistant to President Obama and National Security Council (NSC) Senior Director for Asian Affairs, it should provide us with insights and analysis from an expert.
Please register via the below URL.
1) When using Peatix for the first time, you will need to create a Peatix account with your email address, or you can use your Facebook, Twitter or Google account to login and create your Peatix account.
2) To register - click on “Get Tickets” (Yellow button) . This takes you to the survey screen.
3) Survey page:
- Founding Members: Click on “Asia Society Japan Center member”, number of people you are registering. If it is just you, click “1”. If you are bringing a family member, click “2” and enter their name on the following page.
- For Speakers: Click on “Speaker” and click “1” to register yourself
- For Non-members: Click on “Non-member” and click number of people you are registering. This will direct you to the survey and payment screen.
For inquiries of the event, please send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
International House of Japan, Iwasaki Hall