The Coronavirus Crisis
The coronavirus epidemic originating in Wuhan, China, has emerged as a major global public health crisis. Since January 23, residents have been under quarantine in Wuhan, an industrial city of some 11 million people in central China's Hubei Province, bringing daily life to a standstill. Nevertheless, the virus continues to spread, and the number of those infected and killed rises each day.
On this page, you'll find coverage of the coronavirus from Asia Society as well as our sister site, ChinaFile. Here are some additional links with information on the crisis:
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has the latest health information and guidance about the virus.
- The New York Times has a frequently-updated page on the coronavirus with news on the virus' spread and lethality.
- Johns Hopkins University has an interactive map detailing the location of those infected with coronavirus.
- The Times also published a remarkable video produced by ChinaFile displaying drone footage of Wuhan's empty streets.
Here are some Twitter accounts worth following for up-to-the-minute information:
- Anna Fifield, Washington Post Beijing Bureau Chief and Asia 21 Young Leader (@annafifield).
- Zeyi Yang, a New York-based Wuhan native and graduate of Columbia University's Journalism School. (@zeyiyang)
- Muyi Xiao, ChinaFile visuals editor and Wuhan native who spoke about the virus in an episode of Asia In-Depth. (@muyixiao)
- Dr. Thomas Inglesby, also a recent Asia In-Depth guest, and director of the Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health's Center for Health Security. (@T_Inglesby)
- Chris Buckley, a China-based correspondent at The New York Times. (@ChuBailiang)
- Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of the World Health Organization. (@DrTedros)
Visit ChinaFile, the online magazine produced by Asia Society's Center on U.S.-China Relations, for more coronavirus coverage.
27 Feb 20204 - 5 p.m.What is unique and not commonly known about the new coronavirus (COVID-19)? Ask Professor Paul Chan, Clinical Professor and Chairman of the Department of Microbiology at CUHK in episode 3.
05 Mar 20209:30 - 10:30 a.m.In episode 4, hear from medical experts Nicholas Jewell (UC Berkeley), Arthur Reingold (UC Berkeley) and Keiji Fukuda (HKU).
09 Mar 20208:30 - 10 a.m.Daniel Rosen sheds light on China’s economic trajectory in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak.
21 Feb 20208 - 9:30 a.m.Asia Society Japan Center is delighted to welcome Danny Russel, Vice President, Asia Society Policy Institute. No stranger to the APAC region, he will speak on the destabilizing factors at work with the pandemic being a new complication.
20 Feb 20205 - 6 p.m.In episode 2, hear from Prof. Michael Levitt, Nobel Laureate in Chemistry and Professor at Stanford School of Medicine. S. Alice Mong, Executive Director of Asia Society Hong Kong Center will moderate the discussion.
18 Feb 202012 - 1 p.m.How is to work as a reporter on the coronavirus outbreak in China? Join our 'Webcast Current Affairs' with Anna Fifield, Beijing Bureau Chief for The Washington Post.
14 Feb 20204 - 5 p.m.The World Health Organization declared the novel coronavirus (Covid-19) a global health emergency. What should the public know about this disease? Hear it live on Facebook from Professor Benjamin Cowling (School of Public Health, HKU)!