Mung Bean Pancakes (Nokdu Bindae Ddeok)
3 cups mung beans
150g (1/3 Ib.) bracken, soaked
150g (1/3 Ib.) mung bean sprouts
1 tsp. salt
5 tbs. sesame seeds
2/3 cup water
1. Soak mung beans in water until soft, drain and peel off the skins. Grind the mung beans with 2/3 cups of water in a blender.
2. Peel and finely chop the carrot and bracken. Season with salt.
3. Briefly dip the mung bean sprouts in boiling water, squeeze out the excess water, and season with salt and sesame seeds.
4. Mix the ground mung beans from Step 1 with the carrot, kimchi, bracken and mung bean sprouts.
5. In an oiled frying pan, drop spoonfuls of the mixture from Step 4 onto the skillet over a medium heat, pressing down on the pancakes occasionally to ensure they reach a golden brown.
Recipe excerpted from Korean Temples & Food by Jung Lee.