Indonesian Pineapple Cookies (Kue Nastar)
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup softened unsalted butter
¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
3 egg yolks
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup pineapple jam or preserves
1 egg, beaten, for egg wash
1. Sift flour and salt into a bowl and set aside.
2. Using a stand mixer, cream butter and confectioners’ sugar on medium speed for several minutes until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, one at a time. Add the egg yolks, one at a time. Add the vanilla and mix until combined.
3. Add the flour mixture and mix until fully incorporated.
4. Cover dough and refriegerate for about 30 minutes until firm.
5. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line several cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
6. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and place on cookie sheets, Make a depression in the center of each dough ball and fill with about ½ teaspoon of the pineapple filling. Pinch the edges of the dough back around the filling, and turn seam side down. Place on sheets about 2 inches apart.
7. Brush the tops of each cookie with egg wash. Bake 15-18 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through, until shiny and golden. Cool on wire racks.
Makes about 2 dozen cookies.
Try also: Chinese Almond Cookies
Recipes excerpted with permission from The Field Guide to Cookies: How to Identify and Bake Virtually Every Cookie Imaginable by Anita Chu.