Grilled Bananas with Chocolate and Toasted Coconut Flakes
4 bananas (leave peel on)
3 oz. (85 g) dark or milk chocolate bar, broken into pieces
1/2 cup (40 g) sweetened coconut flakes (or other toppings of your choice, like chopped nuts or chopped fruit)
1. Lay the bananas sideways. Carefully slide the bananas open (cut through the skin and through the banana itself) without cutting through the bottoms or through the ends. You're creating a pocket for the chocolate.
2. Tuck the chocolate inside the banana.
3. Set them on a grill preheated to low heat and grill 5 to 7 minutes, until the bottoms start to turn black and the chocolate has melted.
4. While bananas are grilling, heat a frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the coconut flakes and stir continuously until golden brown at the edges. Immediately pour onto a plate to stop the cooking.
5. When the bananas are done, top them with with some toasted coconut or other topping of your choice.
Try also: Chocolate Wontons
Recipe excerpted with permission from The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook by Jaden Hair (Tuttle Publishing, 2009)