Asia Society Announces 2020 Asia Game Changers
Champions responding to COVID-19 and racially-motivated violence to be honored at a virtual event on October 22, 2020, 8-9:30pm ET
NEW YORK, September 14, 2020 — Asia Society today announced its 2020 Asia Game Changers, a half dozen champions chosen for their responses to the year’s twin traumas of COVID-19 and racially-motivated violence. In partnership with Citi, Asia Society annually honors game-changing leaders from a broad geographic range and varied backgrounds; this year’s honorees have saved lives, changed lives, and lifted spirits all across the globe.
“In this time of profound global challenge, our 2020 Game Changers shine a beacon of love and courage across our divided globe,” said Asia Society President and CEO Josette Sheeran. “They have met the moment, and they have inspired the world. We are honored to bring them to our signature global event.”
The 2020 Asia Game Changers are:
- Entertainment impresario Miky Lee, for her history-making sweep at the Academy Awards (Parasite), for shining a light on economic inequality, and for boosting the profile of Asians on screen;
- Naomi Osaka, Japanese-Haitian tennis champion, for using her global platform to stand against racism in the wake of George Floyd’s murder, and for the courage to tackle racism in Japan and beyond;
- Global superstars BTS, for transforming Korean culture, for their bold commitment to solidarity, and for using their global platform to inspire millions to give to Black Lives Matter;
- Joe and Clara Tsai, for their bridge-building — even life-saving — philanthropy on both sides of the Pacific, in the wake of the pandemic;
- Vikas Khanna, the Michelin-starred chef, for mounting a massive campaign during the pandemic to feed tens of millions of people in his native India;
- and Yo-Yo Ma, for a life’s work in music, for building bridges between Asia and the U.S., and for launching the #songsofcomfort initiative during the pandemic.
The evening will also feature a special message from New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, a performance from Yo-Yo Ma, and a special moment to honor frontline health care workers in the U.S. and Asia.
Now in its seventh year and made possible with support from founding partner Citi, the Asia Game Changer Awards Dinner and Celebration will be a global and virtual gathering, anchored from Asia Society headquarters in New York, with Game Changers and presenters joining from all across the globe — Los Angeles and Seoul, Boston and Melbourne, Mumbai and Hong Kong, and more. The event will be held on October 22, 2020, and run from 8—9:30 p.m. ET. Asia Society partners and colleagues in Asia will join live on what for them will be the morning of October 23. Asia Society Hong Kong will mark its 30th anniversary with a special Game Changers breakfast, timed in conjunction with the Game Changer Awards celebration.
The Asia Game Changer Awards, established by Asia Society in 2014 with founding partner Citi, are designed to fill a vital gap in recognition and celebration of those making a positive contribution to the future of Asia and the world. Former Asia Game Changers include Nobel laureate Malala Yousafzai, internet entrepreneur Jack Ma, actor and activist Dev Patel, the Kung Fu Nuns of Nepal and India, His Highness the Aga Khan, and other inspirational figures spanning the realms of policy, business, science, arts and culture, education, and technology.
About Asia Society
Founded in 1956 by John D. Rockefeller 3rd, Asia Society is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that works to address a range of challenges facing Asia and the rest of the world. Asia Society has cultural centers and public buildings in New York, Hong Kong, and Houston, and offices in Los Angeles, Manila, Melbourne, Mumbai, San Francisco, Seoul, Shanghai, Sydney, Tokyo, Washington, D.C., and Zurich. Across the fields of arts, business, culture, education, and policy, Asia Society provides insight, generates ideas, and promotes collaboration between Asia and the world.
Citi, the leading global bank, has approximately 200 million customer accounts and does business in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citi provides consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial products and services, including consumer banking and credit, corporate and investment banking, securities brokerage, transaction services, and wealth management. Citi is the founding partner of Asia Society’s Asia Game Changer Awards.