The Business of Asia: Myanmar’s Unprecedented TransitionVIEW EVENT DETAILS
A Discussion of Market Opportunities and Challenges with Paul Wilson, Managing Director of Myanmar Capital Advisors Pte. Ltd.
Join us for a discussion with Paul Wilson, Managing Director of Myanmar Capital Advisors Pte. Ltd., on April 10.
Date: April 10, 2013
Time: 12:00pm- 1:30pm
333 South Hope Street, 53rd Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90071
You will be asked to present your ID at the security desk located in the main lobby of the building. From there, security will escort you to the elevators that will take you to the 53rd floor. Once there, please check-in with the Capital Group Private Client Services reception desk.
Parking is available in the building - the entrance is on Hope & 3rd Streets.
Paul Wilson is the Managing Director of Myanmar Capital Advisors Pte. Ltd. (“MCA”) a boutique consultancy specializing in the Myanmar market. Mr. Wilson has been active in Myanmar for the past 15 years and brings practical knowledge, an extensive network of trusted local business partners and deep experience in working with Myanmar government ministries. MCA’s services include supporting clients with initial market entry analysis, partner selection and government engagement. Selected clients engage Mr. Wilson as their in-country advisor for an extended period to manage the local partner and accelerate business growth. As a US citizen, Mr. Wilson makes compliance and ethical business practices a priority.
MCA’s clients include:
- Microsoft (www.microsoft.com), whom MCA is supporting with a market entrance and channel strategy. Microsoft is creating a partner ecosystem to support job creation, improvements in education, access to technology for rural communities and collaborative government. MCA is coordinating efforts with agencies such as USAID in Myanmar.
- A local Myanmar company seeking to secure international food franchises for Myanmar. MCA has partnered with an M&A specialist in the quick service restaurants (QSR) business to support the client.
- Kazimir Partners (www.kazimir.com), one of the longest standing and top performing institutional asset managers in Russia and led by US citizens based in Moscow, Beijing and London with $500M AUM. MCA conducted a 3-month engagement to evaluate the attractiveness of a dedicated Myanmar private equity fund.
- TAG Resources Pty Ltd (www.tagminres.com) an Australian junior mineral exploration company whose principal investor is Forbes & Manhattan (www.forbesmanhattan.com), a leading merchant bank with a global focus on the resource sectors. MCA is working with a local partner to secure exploration tenements from the Ministry of Mines.
- An international oil & gas company seeking onshore and offshore exploration blocks. MCA worked with the client to select a local partner, review technical data and understand PSC requirements in preparation for an E&P tender process.
Considered a pioneer in the Myanmar telecommunications industry, Mr. Wilson co-founded a company in the late ‘90s to partner with the Myanmar Post and Telecommunications (MPT) and establish GSM mobile communications services.
Mr. Wilson has lived in Asia for the last 18 years working for multinational corporations including Microsoft, Accenture (www.accenture.com) and Lucent Technologies (www.alcatel-lucent.com). Mr. Wilson recently led Microsoft’s Small, Mid-Market, Solutions and Partner business for Public Sector across Asia including Greater China, India and Japan. Prior to joining Microsoft, Mr. Wilson was a regional Sales Director for Lucent Technologies in Asia.
As a management consultant with Accenture, Mr. Wilson’s work included a restructuring of Thailand’s Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT). The engagement included developing business plans for three power generation companies to be formed and listed via initial public offerings due to a restructuring of Thailand’s electricity supply industry. Equitable allocation of physical and financial assets was imperative for the three companies to be able to compete with each other and IPPs on a sustainable basis.
Mr. Wilson began his career as a Signal Corps officer with the United States Army serving in positions of operations, command and as an aide-de-camp in Germany and Korea (2nd Infantry Division). He is a qualified military parachutist.
Masters of Business Administration - University of Southern California (Marshall School of Business IBEAR program) Master of Science (Electrical and Computer Engineering) - Georgia Tech, Atlanta
Bachelor of Science (Electrical and Computer Engineering) - Clarkson University, New York
Mr. Wilson was awarded a Warren Bennis Leadership Fellowship at the Marshall School of Business and is a member of Beta Gamma Sigma, recognized for academic achievement in the study of business. Mr. Wilson’s interests include the early (1780’s-1850’s) history of western New York State, the “emerging market” of its day.
This event is free to attend. Seating is limited. Reservations are required.
Deadline to register is April 4.
To RSVP please email Katherine Estrada at Kestrada@asiasociety.org
For questions please contact Katherine Estrada at Kestrada@asiasociety.org
This event is hosted by: