NEW YORK, March 27, 2009 - Asia Society is pleased to announce the establishment of the first annual Bernard Schwartz Book Award.
This major international award will recognize nonfiction books that
provide outstanding contributions to the understanding of contemporary
Asia or US-Asia relations. Books will be evaluated based on their
- Provide special insights and new perspectives into understanding contemporary Asia or US-Asia relations;
- Describe and explain changes taking place in Asia or in US-Asia
relations and the implications for the wider world to a general
- Bring forth ideas that make a significant impact on policy dialogues relating to the region.
An independent jury comprised of experts in the fields of policy,
media, academia, cultural affairs, and business will select the winner,
who will receive a $20,000 prize and will be honored at a special event
at the Asia Society. In addition to the winner, four books will be
chosen to receive honorary mentions.
Rules & Eligibility:
- Deadline for submission is May 1, 2009.
- Books submitted must be published in English.
- The first English edition of the book must have been published between January 1, 2008 and December 31, 2008.
- Entries published in another language between January 1, 2008 and
December 31, 2008 and translated into English and published between
January 1, 2008 and December 31, 2008 are eligible for submission.
- Submissions by publishers (including non-US publishers) or individuals are eligible.
- Biographies, autobiographies and historical books are eligible, if they meet the criteria of the award as described above.
- For the purposes of this award, "Asia" is defined by Asia Society
as comprising of countries from Iran eastward up and including
Australia and New Zealand. It does not include the Middle East.
- To submit a book, please email a one-page overview of the book to [email protected] no later than May 1, 2009 and include the following information:
Please do not mail books until contacted to do so.
- Publisher and Publication Date
- Short summary and/or reviews describing the book's qualifications to meet award criteria (no more than 300 words)
- Complete contact information (mailing address, email, telephone number)
- If a book is selected for consideration by the jury, Asia Society
will contact the publisher or appropriate individual with a request to
mail up to 12 copies of the book.
For additional information on the award, please contact:
Coordinator, Bernard Schwartz Book Award
725 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10021
Email: [email protected]
About Asia Society
Asia Society is the leading global organization working to strengthen
relationships and promote understanding among the people, leaders, and
institutions of Asia and the United States. We seek to enhance
dialogue, encourage creative expression, and generate new ideas across the fields of arts and culture, policy and business, and education. Founded
in 1956 by John D. Rockefeller 3rd, Asia Society is a nonpartisan,
nonprofit educational institution with offices in Hong Kong, Houston,
Los Angeles, Manila, Melbourne, Mumbai, New York, San Francisco,
Shanghai, Seoul, and Washington, DC. On the web at www.AsiaSociety.org.
# # #