Meeting History and Agendas
Global Cities Education Network (GCEN) members gather annually for a dynamic, three-day learning experience that includes school site visits, collaborative exchanges, and presentations from experts, with a focus on issues identified by the cities and facilitated by those on the cutting edge of practice and policy. Six symposia have been held: Hong Kong in May 2012, Seattle in January 2013, Singapore in October 2013, Toronto in October 2014, Shanghai in November 2015, and London in November 2016. The next symposium will take place in Denver in November 2017.
- London Symposium, November 2016
- Shanghai Symposium, November 2015
- Toronto Symposium, October 2014
- Singapore Symposium, October 2013
- Seattle Symposium, January 2013
- Hong Kong Symposium, May 2012
In between meetings and building off the cities agreed-upon areas of focus, the network has engaged in studies and formed working groups around the topics of:
- Developing and sustaining a high-quality teaching force;
- Career and technical education (CTE/VET); and
- Developing 21st century competencies.
Starting in 2014, the working groups are utilizing Asia Society-created case studies and background materials to participate in expert-led workshops. Within these working groups, cities will strive to collaboratively transform best practice discussion into policy and practice change.
Developing and Sustaining a High-Quality Teaching Force
Career and Technical Education
Developing 21st Century Competencies
- 2015: Shanghai