Established in 2006, the Asia 21 Young Leaders Initiative is the Asia-Pacific’s foremost young leaders’ network of diverse change-makers—under the age of 40—united by a shared commitment to making their communities and the world a better place. The Asia 21 network today is comprised of almost 900 influential individuals from a wide variety of professions, representing close to 40 countries, who believe in values-based leadership and public service. Asia 21 provides a catalytic platform where young leaders form lasting relationships and enrich each other’s endeavors through mutual learning and effective collaborations. Many of the Asia 21 Young Leaders are recognized as leading figures in politics, business, arts, media, and the non-profit sector.
Selected through a very competitive process, successful candidates for the new class would have demonstrated excellence in the field in which they are involved and commitment to values-based leadership and public service.
- Be age 40 or under (to be eligible for the nomination and selection process of the Class of 2017, the candidate must have been born on or after 1 January 1977)
- Be a proven leader in their field. Typically, this means at least 5-10 years of outstanding professional work experience and a clear indication of playing a substantial leadership role for the rest of his or her career
- Has a recognized record of extraordinary achievement and a proven track record of substantial leadership experience
- Has demonstrated a commitment to values-based leadership and public service;
- Be fluent in spoken and written English
Timeline for Nomination, Application & Selection
- Nominations for the Class of 2017 will be open from March 6, 2017 to April 10, 2017
- Applications for those nominated will be accepted from April 11, 2017 - May 29, 2017
- Only selected applicants will be notified of their acceptance to the Class of 2017 by August 2017
* Please note that this timeline is subject to change, due to unforeseen circumstances
The Nomination Process and Selection Process
- To nominate, please submit the name/title/affiliation of your nominee/s through the nomination webpage
- Once the nomination process is complete Asia Society will then reach out to the nominees, asking them to submit their application within the application period
- All applications will be reviewed by an in-house committee, which will narrow the list from hundreds down to 50 shortlisted candidates
- These shortlisted candidates will then be reviewed by a separate selection committee, who will determine the final 20-25 candidates
- The selected 20-25 will then be approved by an Honorary Selection Committee.
*Please note that due to the large number of applications recieved, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted regarding their selection to the Asia 21 Young Leaders network.